Seeks 6 choreographers to present work in our
Festival of Latin American Contemporary Choreographers
LOCATION: Dance Mission Theater, San Francisco, California, USA
PERFORMANCE DATES: November 10-12, Fri-Sat. 8pm, Sun. 6pm. 2017
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: June 16, 2017
2017 CURATORIAL MISSION: by Juan Manuel Aldape
"REST & UNREST"...FLACC 2017 wants to use the festival as a site, process, and gathering to sustain our resistance against xenophobic policies that impact the United States’ Latina/o/x community members, as well as communities across Latin America. We want to highlight the various strategies that Latina/o/x and Native choreographers use to regain their energy in the company of each other, to take care of each other in the face of oppression, and to acknowledge the people and places we have lost and continue to lose due to police state violence and the silencing/invisibilizing of our community members. For 2017, FLACC is seeking submissions that focus on the themes of REST, UNREST, ENDURANCE, DISTRACTION, RESILIENCE AND STILLNESS.
VENUE TECHNICAL INFO
Dance Mission Theater is a 135-person capacity black box theater with professional lighting and sound capabilities. Stage dimensions are 28 feet wide by 35 feet deep, with four 4-foot wings per side. The stage floor is sprung wood with black Marley. Audience seating is on risers, black curtain background and 4 wings with a dressing room at the upstage right entrance.
WHO CAN APPLY
¡FLACC! supports emerging and established Dance Artists of the Latin@ Diaspora who are choosing to make dances of the non-traditional, border-crossing, rule-breaking, cutting-edge, queer, avant-garde, contemporary, curious, experimental, abstract, sensitive, hybridized, neo-classical, or revolutionary varieties. We present Latina/o/x artists that have presented independent work for at least five years.
For our purposes, choreographers with “Latin American” cultural heritage or ancestry are defined by all countries that speak Spanish, Portuguese, or Indigenous languages in the Americas – from the Borderlands of the US to the tip of South America, including the Caribbean Islands. Indigenous contemporary choreographers of North America and US-born Chican@s and Latin@s are also invited to apply to this Festival.
* Work must be no more than 15 mins.
* Work is encouraged to address, but is not limited to, the curatorial mission stated above.
* Piece must be completed and be performance ready before tech rehearsal for November show
* Participate in optional work in progress showing and discussion to gain audience feedback (date TBA)
* Artists must be available for a 1 hour Tech Rehearsal time slot on November. 9, 2017 between 1:00 pm -10:30 pm
* Artists are required to participate in the post-show discussions. For this year's post-show discussions, we will feature two artists after each show. This way, all six choreographers will be given the time to talk about their process.
* Artists are required to regularly promote and announce the festival every month prior to the show and a week before the show through social media and email.
FLACC 2017 will provide artists with the following:
* Feedback as the piece develops. In October, FLACC will facilitate a work-in-progress showing with selected artists.
* Honorarium: $400
* Sound & Light board operator for tech and shows
* Light Designer to design the lights during your tech rehearsal time slot
* Professional Video and Photography of your piece
* Stage Manager to coordinate scene changes of all pieces
* Publicity & Marketing throughout Bay Area
HOW TO APPLY
1) Please complete the Online Form:
2) Include the following information:
Letter of Intent, Choreographer's Bio, Project Description, Collaborators, Technical Needs, Website.
3) Please provide one or two Video Link work samples with 3 minutes of uninterrupted footage. Please list clearly start/stop time codes you would like us to view.
contact admin: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact us with any questions!